Saturday 13 April 2013

Guilty fears? Lack of Assurance?


Guilty fears? Lack of assurance? Is the enemy trying to keep you away from coming into the Father’s presence by suggesting you are not good enough?
Following on from last week here’s another grand old hymn that expresses something of the cross work of Christ, and so edifies and encourages us.
It was written by Charles Wesley, brother of John the father of Methodism, and in it the writer encourages us to rise up and shake off those guilty fears, and everything that would keep us away from our Father by looking away from ourselves and ‘unto Jesus’ who is ‘the Author and Finisher of our faith.’
Arise, my soul, arise; shake off your guilty fears;
The bleeding sacrifice in my behalf appears:
Before the throne my surety stands,
Before the throne my surety stands,
My name is written on His hands.
He ever lives above, for me to intercede;
His all redeeming love, His precious blood, to plead:
His blood atoned for all our race,
His blood atoned for all our race,
And sprinkles now the throne of grace.
Five bleeding wounds He bears; received on Calvary;
They pour effectual prayers; they strongly plead for me:
“Forgive him, O forgive,” they cry,
“Forgive him, O forgive,” they cry,
“Nor let that ransomed sinner die!”
The Father hears Him pray, His dear anointed One;
He cannot turn away, the presence of His Son;
His Spirit answers to the blood,
His Spirit answers to the blood,
And tells me I am born of God.
My God is reconciled; His pardoning voice I hear;
He owns me for His child; I can no longer fear:
With confidence I now draw nigh,
With confidence I now draw nigh,
And “Father, Abba, Father,” cry.
Charles Wesley (lightly edited)
Some powerful words indeed, but we have an enemy who doesn’t like these truths, let alone us living in and enjoying them! Paul says to us via the Christians in Galatia ‘let the word of Christ dwell in you richly by teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing …. hymns…’ and via the church in Ephesus ‘be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in…hymns.’
Truth is powerful. Sung truth dynamically powerful. Though it the word impacts our minds, hearts/emotions and energies.
You believe in Jesus? You can’t be more loved or more reconciled than the day you believed! Don’t let the enemy keep you away, enter with all boldness and enjoy his loving presence.
You don’t know him? Let me tell you he loves you – that’s why Jesus came and lived and died. There’s nothing that you need to do except realise your need of him; that Jesus died for you and the price is paid, and therefore all you need to do is run into his loving forgiving arms.
If you’ve never heard the hymn, here’s a version I found on Youtube – not sure where it comes from…

No comments:

Post a Comment